Local roundup: Montville boys tie ECC Division III soccer leader Windham 3-3
Montville — Jacob Rose's goal with 11 minutes remaining helped Montville High School tie Eastern Connecticut Conference Division III leader Windham 3-3 in a boys' soccer game Tuesday.
Windham, which trailed 2-0 at the half, had taken a 3-2 lead on three straight goals by Alfonso Villa before Rose pulled the Indians (6-3-1, 2-2-1) even.
Morgun Whittaker and Quinn Bond also scored goals for Montville and goalie Isaiah Gallagher made 17 saves, including a penalty kick.
In other matches:
• Sam Montalto scored three goals while Tyler Fidrych had a goal and four assists as Stonington rolled to a 5-1 win over Norwich Free Academy in an ECC Division I matchup. The Bears (8-0-2, 3-0-1) led 2-1 when Fidrych converted a penalty kick to make it 3-1. He then set up Montalto and George Limberakis later in the second half to break the game open. Jareth Tosses scored the lone goal for NFA (2-5-1, 1-3).
• Alex Ard had two goals and two assists to highlight Waterford's 8-0 win over New London in an ECC Division II matchup. Norbu Ciren added a goal and an assist for the Lancers (4-5-1, 3-2) while Jeremy Gibbs, Oli Searle, Abe Gollsneider, Zac Fayan and Evan Piotrowski each scored a goal and Bobby Lokken and PJ Lokken each had an assist. New London is 0-9, 0-5.
• Everett LeBlanc scored two goals as Ellis Tech rolled to a 7-1 win over Grasso Tech in the Connecticut Technical Conference. Rob Holland scored an unassisted goal for Grasso (3-5-1) and goalie Joel Potter made nine saves.
• Alyson Lowney won a pair of events and was on two winning relays teams, leading Fitch/Stonington/New London to a 99-71 win over NFA in the ECC. Lowney won the 200-yard freestyle (2:08.70) and 500 freestyle (5:54.12). Emily Tarinelli, Kylie Heard and Delaney Reck also won events for Fitch (4-1, 4-1) and Finella Smith, Charlotte Mann and Sarah Tarinelli helped Fitch sweep the three relays. Gloria Ng of NFA (1-6, 1-4) won the 200 individual medley (2:19.66) and 100 breaststroke (1:11.61).
• Nikki Hahn and Grace Vlaun won two events each as East Lyme remained unbeaten with a 98-81 win over Waterford in the ECC. Hahn won the 200 freestyle (2:19.95) and 100 freestyle (1:06.04) and Vlaun won the 200 IM (2:37.74) and 100 breaststroke (1:24.82). Hailey Newton also won an event for East Lyme (5-0, 5-0). Lily Watson won the 50 freestyle (28.75) and 100 butterfly (1:11.79) and was on two winning relay teams for Waterford (3-3, 3-2).
• Robin Zemlo won a pair of individual events to lift Ledyard to a 72-52 win over Lyman Memorial/Windham/Parish Hill in the ECC. Zemlo won the 200 individual medley and 500 freestyle for the Colonels (2-4, 2-3), who also picked up individual wins from Tessa Finnegan (200 free), Kate Truncale (100 butterfly), Emma Cassidy (100 backstroke) and Alexandria Martinez-Garcia (100 breaststroke).
• New London's Mia Santana and Old Lyme's Mya Johnson scored goals as Connecticut college beat Eastern Connecticut State 3-0 in a nonleague game. Marielle McEnaney had two assists and Bella Patino scored a goal for Conn (8-2), which outshot ECSU 16-0.
• Abby McGuire scored in the 64th minute as Coast Guard beat Mount Holyoke 1-0 in a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference game. McGuire headed in the ball off a corner kick by Waterford's Claire Hurley. Sara Schollenberger made two saves for the Bears (6-6, 4-0).
• Seth Anderson's header in the sixth minute was the only goal of the game as Coast Guard Academy knocked off Wesleyan 1-0 in a nonconference game. Dakota Harich made nine saves to record his second shutout of the season for the Bears (7-5).
• Connecticut College scored three second-half goals on the way to a 3-1 win over Eastern Connecticut. Matt Butera scored twice and Liam Donelan converted a penalty kick for the Camels (6-1-2). Emmanuel Agyemang scored on a penalty kick for Eastern (10-2).
• Wheeler swept Grasso Tech 25-13, 25-12 and 25-5. Sam Caster had eight aces and seven assists for the Lions (2-8), while Lucy Sullcapuma had five service points, one dig, one kill and one assist for Grasso, and Samarie Delgado had six digs and two kills.
• Mitchell College improved to 8-8 with a 25-17, 25-11, 25-11 win over Albertus Magnus on Monday. Bree Rudolph had seven kills for the Mariners while Cameron Childs added 16 digs and Claire Binfield had 15 assists.
Stories that may interest you
Lynn Valentine's condominium is on the top floor overlooking the 13th tee and the 16th fairway at Bear Lakes Country Club in West Palm Beach, Fla. It's fitting, as for the past 22 years Valentine has called Bear Lakes home.