H.S. cross country: Ledyard boys sweep key ECC Division II meet
Colchester — Ledyard High School completed a perfect regular season in Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II boys' cross country by sweeping a tri-meet from host Bacon Academy and Waterford on Tuesday afternoon at Zagray Farm.
The Colonels (7-2, 4-0) edged Bacon 28-29 and beat Waterford 20-44 while Bacon beat Waterford 27-31.
Aidan Pepin was the individual winner for Waterford (7-3, 2-2), finishing in 16 minutes, 45.1 seconds. Ledyard's Simon Reichert was second in 17:25.8 while Connor Wilcox led Bacon in third place (17:36).
The Colonels won the meet by placing four other runners in the top 10 — Juan Garcia (sixth, 17:49.3), Connor Doran (seventh, 17:52.3), Christopher Evans (eighth, 17:55.9) and Daniel Donovan (10th, 18:12.9).
In other meets:
• Norwich Free Academy used its depth to outlast Griswold 28-29 and sweep a home meet at Mohegan Park. The Wildcats (7-1, 2-1) also defeated Fitch 15-38 in an ECC Division I meet and Killingly 15-50. The Falcons (4-4, 1-2) lost to Griswold 19-38. Griswold's Michael Strain won individual honors in 17:16, eight seconds faster than NFA's Peyton Ramsey, but after Griswold's Lucas and Jacob Strain finished 3-4, respectively, NFA's Aidan Brown, Timothy Jencks, Tyler Crabb, Digby Ludlow and Aidan Croteau took the next five places. Simon Chidley finished 10th for Fitch.
• Lyman Memorial placed four runners in the top six and picked up a pair of ECC Division III victories, 22-33 over St. Bernard and 23-33 over Montville. Montville beat St. Bernard 27-28. Shane Franson of Lyman won with a time of 18:26. Montville (3-5, 2-2) was led by Nathan Bedingfield's fourth-place finish (19:19) and St. Bernard (3-5, 1-3) was led by Sean Power's third-place finish (19:09).
• Ellis Tech took the top four places to beat Grasso Tech 16-49 in the Connecticut Technical Conference. Jacob Reed was the overall winner for Ellis (6-0) in 19:14 while Orin Dube finished fifth in 21:37 for Grasso (0-6).
• St. Bernard finished unbeaten in ECC Division III meets by topping Lyman Memorial 15-50 and Montville 24-31. The Saints (7-1, 4-0) were led by Serena Britner's second-place finish (21:31) and Brigid Kunka's third-place finish (21:43). Jessica Casey of Lyman won the meet in 21:04. Montville (5-2, 3-1) beat Lyman 15-50. Montville's Maya Suarez (fourth, 22:17) and Maddie Gould (fifth, 23:07) finished in the top five.
• Bacon Academy picked up a pair of ECC Division II wins, beating Ledyard 26-33 and Waterford 20-36. Bacon also took the top two spots, with Jordan Malloy winning in a time of 20:48 and Erin Mathieu second at 21:18. Ledyard (4-5, 2-2) beat Waterford 26-31 and was led by Ally Tran's third-place finish (21:33). Katherine Harren of Ledyard was fifth (22:12) and teammate Victoria Schweitzer was sixth (22:39). Melissa Vine (fourth, 22:08) was the top finisher for Waterford (5-4, 1-3).
• NFA took the top three spots and beat Fitch 17-46 in an ECC Division I meet. Sophie Jones won the race in 21:02, Madison Martin was second (22:41) and Tesse Hospod was third (22:52) for NFA (7-1, 2-1), which defeated Killingly and Griswold each 15-50. Ava Paprocki of Fitch was fourth in 23:06 and NFA's Anna Gosselin was fifth (23:14). Fitch (3-6, 0-3) beat Griswold 15-43 and Killingly 15-50.
Stories that may interest you
New London senior Cassandra Cannon was an All-ECC Division II first team selection last season and the Whalers' all-league scholar-athlete. She will attend Salve Regina and major in nursing.
St. Bernard senior Sean Power was sixth in the ECC Division II meet indoors in the mile and eighth in Class S. He was a CIAC scholar-athlete and class orator at St. Bernard's graduation on May 22.